Thank you to everyone who attended the Bike MS Awards Party and congratulations to all the award recipients! At this year’s awards party we recognized participants, volunteers, sponsors and community partners for their contribution in creating a world free of MS.
Category Archives: Uncategorized
Howdy, y’all! If you haven’t checked your calendar lately, we have a big, BIG ride weekend coming up in a few days. Heck, it’s so big we have to start it Friday. Here’s a schedule of events, all in one news post for your convenience:
Friday, Oct. 8: Bike MS: Valero Expo at the Alamodome
4 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Parking in lot B – $5
The Expo is the last opportunity to pick up your rider’s packet and turn in fundraising pledges before the ride. Other reasons to attend:
- $10 Pasta Dinner. 4 – 9 p.m.
- Representatives from the Bike Master Plan will provide an update on San Antonio’s Bike Master Plan. 6:30 p.m.
- 2nd Annual Best Team Jersey Contest. 7 p.m.
- Visit your favorite bike shop booth for gear and last-minute bike inspections.
- Bike Compound. Leave your bike in our secure bike compound Friday night and pick it up Saturday morning before the ride.
- Shuttle service to hotels on shuttle route. 5 – 9 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 9: Day 1 Start Line at the Alamodome
- Free parking in Lot B. Lot opens at 5:30 a.m. Vehicles can be left at the Alamodome until Sunday. Security will patrol the lot.
- Shuttle service from select hotels on the shuttle route begins at 5:30 a.m. and ends at 8 a.m.
- Ride starts at 8 a.m.
- Century Route closes at 2:30 p.m.
Saturday Overnight, Comal County Fair Grounds
Things to check out at the Overnight:
- The Bubble Bistro. The Bubble Bistro is a cool place for people with MS to sit and cheer on cyclists as they cross the finish line each day.
- Free dinner from for all registered riders. 4-9 p.m.
- Team Karaoke Contest. 4 -7 p.m. For more details or to register your team call Lisa Shaw at 210-694-3229.
- Autographed Clay Walker Guitar Drawing for those who raised $1,000 by Oct. 8
- Live Music from the High Octane Band, sponsored by Valero. 7-9 p.m.
- Sampling from Starbucks, Pure Protein and Goya
- Official Bike MS: Valero merchandise will be sold.
- Shuttle Service to select hotels on shuttle route. 2-9 p.m.
- Massage Therapists
Sunday, Oct. 10, Day 2 Start Line, Comal County Fair Grounds
- Shuttle service from select hotels on shuttle route begins at 5:30 a.m.
- Coffee sponsored by Starbucks.
- Breakfast, sponsored by Tesoro, will be served from 5:30 – 8 a.m.
- San Antonio Express-News papers available.
- Ride begins at 7:30 a.m.
Finish Line, Alamodome
- Air-Conditioned Finish!
- Received your Finish Line Pin at the Bubble Bistro!
- Massage Therapists
- Free Finish Line meal for registered riders
Exciting News: FDA Approves First Oral Therapy That Reduces Disease Activity For People With Relapsing MS
Earlier today the FDA approved oral fingolimod – brand name Gilenya (pronounced Jil-EN-ee-ah), a therapy produced and marketed by Novartis International AG. What this means is the first oral therapy to reduce disease activity in MS is expected to hit the market in a few weeks.
Click here to learn more about Gilenya and this exciting development in MS research and treatment.
Check out this news report on the FDA’s announcement, filmed Sept. 22 in our Dallas office:
After riding 75 or 100 miles on Day 1 you may be looking for something at the Overnight to take your mind off your spent legs and various chaffed body parts. And, of course, there’s no better distraction than watching a fellow cyclist on stage, microphone in hand, belting out his or her favorite karaoke tune.
Be sure to head over the Overnight’s stage area from 4-6 p.m. (Saturday, Oct. 9, at Comal County Fairgrounds) to take in the contest. You and your friends/team can sign up to participate in the fun at the stage. Winners from the preliminary round will proceed to the finals, beginning at 6 p.m. The final round of contestants will have the privilege of singing with a live band, thanks to the generosity of our title sponsor Valero. The winner(s) will receive a golden microphone prize and have the honor of lining up first in the chute with the Club 100 on Sunday, October 10.
It couldn’t be easier to share one of the News Blog entries you see on this page. Here’s how: Click on the headline of the item you would like to share. Once open, choose one of the following share options (located at the bottom of the post) to tell your friends:
Beginning next Monday, Sept. 20, we’ll be holding Packet Pick-Ups five days in a row! Next week’s events will be your last chance to pick up your rider packet before the Expo, Oct. 8, at the Alamodome. Here are the details for next week:
National MS Society Office, Austin
9600 N. Mopac, Suite 150
Austin, TX 78759
Cavender Toyota, San Antonio
5730 NW Loop 410
San Antonio TX 78238
Valero Energy Corporation
One Valero Way
San Antonio, TX 78249
Red McCombs, San Antonio
8333 IH-10 West
San Antonio, TX 78230
Toyota of Boerne
31205 IH-10 West
Boerne, TX 78006